We know that teachers care about their students and improving their instructional practice. Often, the data available to improve instructional practice does not include direct feedback from students. The New York City Department of Education (DOE) partners with Panorama Education to offer the Student Perception Survey, a research-based, confidential and anonymous student survey used across the country to provide teachers with students’ feedback about their classroom experiences.
The Student Perception Survey is administered for formative purposes only, and not as a part of Advance, New York City’s system for teacher development and evaluation.
2021-2022 Student Perception Survey Administration
The administration window for the 2021-22 Student Perception Survey was December 6 through January 28.
Survey Coordinator Resources: Coordinators should use the resources below to support the planning and administration of the survey at their school.
- Use this Quick Reference Guide for survey coordinators to remember the key dates and information for the survey.
- The Survey Coordinator Checklist includes actions to take before the survey begins in early December.
- Reference the Eligibility Guidelines to understand which teachers and students are eligible for the survey this year.
- Read the Ethics Reference Guide to understand the "DOs" and "DON'Ts" for your survey administration.
- Use the Accommodations Guide to help plan any supports and accommodations you need to plan for during the survey administration at your school.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) as a place to answer any questions you have about the survey and administration this year.
- Read the 2021-22 Student Perception Survey questions that will be asked this year.
- Letters to Parents/Guardians to backpack home about the 2022 Student Perception Survey
2021-2022 Student Perception Survey Results
Teachers, principals, and field support staff can log in to their Panorama Education account to access their online reports.
- View your Student Perception Survey Results.
Understanding Your Results
To assist teachers, principals, and field support staff in understanding their reports, resources such as user guides are available on WeTeachNYC.
Panorama Education Playbook
The Student Perception Survey is a formative tool intended to guide practice in the classroom and across schools. Along with the online survey reports, teachers and principals will have access to the Panorama Education Playbook (Playbook), an online professional learning tool that allows educators to share practices and create a personalized playbook of instructional strategies based on their survey results.
Are you a principal interested in facilitating a one-on-one conversation with a teacher about their individual results? Are you a teacher trying to understand how the Student Perception Survey aligns to the Danielson Framework for Teaching? Visit WeTeachNYC to access a reflection tool and other professional learning resources.