We know that teachers care about their students and improving their instructional practice. Often, the data available to improve instructional practice does not include direct feedback from students. The New York City Department of Education (DOE) partners with Panorama Education to offer the Student Perception Survey, a research-based, confidential and anonymous student survey used across the country to provide teachers with students’ feedback about their classroom experiences.
The Student Perception Survey is administered for formative purposes only, and not as a part of Advance, New York City’s system for teacher development and evaluation.
2022-2023 Student Perception Survey Administration
The administration window for the 2022-23 Student Perception Survey is December 5 through January 23. The deadline has been extended from January 20.
Resources for Survey Administration
School administrators and survey coordinators should use the resources below to support the planning and administration of the survey at their school.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for answers to questions you have about the survey and administration this year.
- Read the Ethics Reference Guide to understand the "DOs" and "DON'Ts" for your survey administration.
- Use the Accommodations Guide to help plan any supports and accommodations you need to plan for during the survey administration at your school.
- Reference the Eligibility Guidelines to understand which teachers and students are eligible for the survey this year.
- Use this Quick Reference Guide to remember the key dates and information for the survey.
- The Survey Coordinator Checklist includes actions to take before the survey begins in early December.
- Get a Student Perception Survey refresher when you watch a recording of this year’s Survey Coordinator training webinar.
- Review the Survey Coordinator training deck for a thorough overview of the 2022-23 Student Perception Survey.
- Take a look at the 2022-23 Student Perception Survey questions.
- Promote the survey with students at your school, using these "Student Voice Counts" posters
- Inform families that your school will be administering the Student Perception Survey, using this family letter.
- This support structure guide will help you identify who to contact with your survey administration questions.
2021-2022 Student Perception Survey Results
Teachers, principals, and District teams can log in to their Panorama Education account to access their online reports.
- View your Student Perception Survey Results.
Understanding Your Results
To assist teachers, principals, and District teams in understanding their reports, resources such as user guides are available on WeTeachNYC.
Panorama Education Playbook
The Student Perception Survey is a formative tool intended to guide practice in the classroom and across schools. Along with the online survey reports, teachers and principals will have access to the Panorama Education Playbook (Playbook), an online professional learning tool that allows educators to share practices and create a personalized playbook of instructional strategies based on their survey results.
Are you a principal interested in facilitating a one-on-one conversation with a teacher about their individual results? Are you a teacher trying to understand how the Student Perception Survey aligns to the Danielson Framework for Teaching? Visit WeTeachNYC to access a reflection tool and other professional learning resources.