School Quality Rubric
The School Quality Rubric is a research-based tool designed to support school improvement efforts in New York City schools. The Rubric was originally released in 2009 as the Quality Review Rubric and has been enhanced based on current research and stakeholder input to align with the expectations of the New York State Next Generation Learning Standards and the Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Education (CRSE) Framework and reflects NYC Schools’ commitment to improving learning results for all students by creating well developed, culturally responsive-sustaining, equitable systems of support for achieving dramatic gains in student outcomes.
The Rubric drives school improvement by helping schools and districts develop a common language, reflect on and assess shared practices, and plan for the future.
The Rubric is comprised of 10 Quality Indicators and 30 sub-indicators. The 10 Quality Indicators fall within three categories: the Instructional Core (1.1 Curriculum, 1.2 Pedagogy, 2.2 Assessment), School Culture (1.4 Positive Learning Environment, 3.4 High Expectations), and Systems for Improvement (1.3 Leveraging Resources, 3.1 Goals and Action Plans, 4.1 Teacher Support and Supervision, 4.2 Teacher Teams and Leadership Development, 5.1 Monitoring and Revising Systems).
School Quality Rubric Professional Learning
School leaders and the staff who support them are being offered multiple opportunities to engage in professional learning sessions designed to deepen their understanding of the 2022-23 School Quality Rubric. The sessions will center on collaboratively unpacking the Rubric enhancements, with a spotlight on the integration of the Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Education Framework, making connections between rubric indicators, and identifying trends, patterns, and high-leverage shifts to support school improvement.
- To learn more and sign-up, visit the School Quality Rubric Professional Learning registration page
The Quality Review (QR) is a process rooted in the 2022-23 School Quality Rubric to evaluate how well schools are organized to support student learning and teacher practice. It was developed to assist NYC Schools in raising student achievement by looking behind a school’s performance statistics to ensure that the school is engaged in effective methods of accelerating student learning.
Experienced educators conduct a two-day school visit observing classrooms and speaking with school leaders, teachers, students, and parents/caregivers to inform feedback and ratings across all 30 sub-indicators of the School Quality Rubric. The process culminates with verbal and written feedback that reflects a rubric-based assessment of experiences and evidence gathered during the school visit for the school community to use as a tool to support school improvement.
For the 2022-2023 school year, Superintendents have the opportunity to select schools to receive a QR in collaboration with school leaders. In school year 2022-23 the QR Report will not be published, and the ratings will not be in the 2022-23 School Quality Reports. There are limits to how many QRs will be conducted, so superintendents should select schools as soon as possible.
- Superintendents submit selected schools to receive a 2022-23 Quality Review using this form.
- School Quality Rubric: The 2022-2023 School Quality Rubric has been enhanced with input from a variety of stakeholders to surface culturally responsive and sustaining educational practices and their impact on teaching and learning.
- School Quality Rubric Big Ideas: This document captures the essential components for each indicator and sub-indicator of the 2022-2023 School Quality Rubric.
- School Quality Expectations: This document outlines a set of expectations for Well Developed practices found within the 10 indicators from the School Quality Rubric.
- Find a School’s Most Recent Quality Review Report: Use this search tool to find a school's most recent Quality Review Report. Reports are also available on each school's website. Access a school’s website by using the “Find a School” search page.
- All Quality Review Ratings from 2005-2020: This spreadsheet lists Quality Review ratings from 2005 to the most recent school year Quality Reviews were completed.
Resources for Schools
- 2022-2023 Quality Review Guide for School Leaders
The guide for school leaders serves as an overview of the Quality Review process and outlines the stages of the process in detail: pre-review work, school visit, the Quality Review Report, Culminating Conversation, and post-review work.
- Self-Evaluation Form
An editable Word version of the 2022-23 Self-Evaluation Form that school leaders submit prior to the QR school visit. This document serves to capture the principal and school community’s evaluation of school practices and the impact of those practices. It is an entry point to understanding key practices, decisions, goals, and impacts that are not captured elsewhere.
- Report Verification Form
An editable Word version of the 2022-2023 Quality Review Report Verification Form. Prior to the publication of the final Quality Review Report, the school leader will have the opportunity to confirm the factual accuracy of a draft report using the report verification process.
- Report Template
This template is used for the Quality Review Report.
- Appeal Request Form
An editable Word version of the revised 2022-2023 Quality Review Appeal Request Form. If school leaders wish to appeal any sub-indicator rating, they must submit a completed appeal form within 10 school days after the Culminating Conversation.
Resources for Reviewers
- Record Book
The 2022-2023 Record Book is an evidence-gathering tool for reviewers that includes guiding questions for each sub-indicator of the School Quality Rubric.
- Classroom Visitation Tool
This tool is used by reviewers to document findings and evidence during classroom visits.