Contractors are responsible for understanding and carrying out all of the duties and responsibilities set forth in the Standard Operating Procedures for School Bus Contractors Providing Service under Contracts with the NYCDOE (herein expressed as "Contractor's Manual") and in the applicable contract(s). In the event of a conflict between the Contractor’s Manual and the applicable Contract(s), the applicable Contract(s) shall govern.
Chapters of the Contractor’s Manual are available on this page on the side menu, or below.
Chapters of the Contractor's Manual
- Vehicle Specifications
- Driver and Attendant Certification Process and Responsibilities
- Violations, Procedures, and Assessment of Liquidated Damages
- Vehicle Inspection Standards, Maintenance and Safety
- Investigations Procedures
- Accidents, Emergencies and Other Delays
- Routing and Scheduling System
- Field Trip Procedures
- Picking of Runs
- Driver/attendant approval form
- Information form bus attendant
- Information form bus driver
- Student emergency contact form
- School bus incident reporting procedures
- School bus incident form
- Contractor system guide
- Section 11 attachments
- Car seat retraining certificate template
- Wheelchair retraining certificate template
- Sleeping children sign
- Information for Bus Companies (Requires login)
- NYC Public Schools Calendar
- Non-Public Schools Calendar
- Vendor Information System (Requires login)
- Vendor Integration (Requires login)
- OPT Contracts (Requires login)
- Accidents (Requires login)
Maps and Routes
- Map Portal (Requires login)
- Summer Map Portal (Requires login)
- Bus Route Status (Requires login)
- Special Education Routing System (Requires login)
- Route Integration System (Requires login)
Call Recording and Attendance
- OPT Call Recording System (Requires login)
- Pre-K Call Recording System (Requires login)
- Drivers and Attendants System (Requires login)
Driver and Attendant Training Locations
Bus & Car Driver Training School
1332 Commerce Avenue, Suite 18
Bronx, NY 10461
Contact: Robert Verderosa (President)
Bus Drivers R Us
483 Hemlock St.
Brooklyn, NY 11208
Contact: Manuel Otero
K.E.R.F. Safety Training
2704 East Tremont Avenue 2nd Floor
Bronx, NY 10461
Contact: Sandra Lopez
Lella Transportation Safety
944 Havermayer Ave.
Bronx, NY, 10473
Contact: Anne Smith
NY Bus Training Corp. dba Training In Transportation
3051 Nostrand Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11229
Contact: Jo-Ann Tufaro
Wheels on the Bus
1841 Forest Avenue- 2nd Floor
Staten Island, NY 10303
Contact: Arden Daleus
Technic Driving School Inc.
2174 Nostrand Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210
Contact: Raoul St. Flavin
School Bus Safety City, Inc.
426 East 138th St, 2nd Fl.
Bronx, NY 10454
Contact: Maria Sonaly Caro
School Bus Safety City, Inc. (Second Location)
3619-B Rombouts Ave
Bronx, NY 10466
Contact: Maria Sonaly Caro
NYC Bus Lane Use
Per NYC Traffic Rules, school buses are authorized to use New York City Bus Lanes when transporting passengers. For the definition of a school bus, see section 4-01(b). For specific bus lane restrictions, see section 4-12(m).
We share this information so that your drivers have every option to reduce traffic delays and ride duration for NYC Students.
How to Support Bus Lane Use
Please remind your drivers that school buses with passengers are allowed to use NYC Bus Lanes, and make sure they are familiar with the rules and definitions above.
The following steps should be taken to ensure your drivers are aware of this policy.
- Verbally communicate to drivers the legal use of NYC bus lanes by vehicles transporting students
- Encourage drivers to use NYC bus lanes to reduce traffic delays and ride duration when possible
- Add the bus lane rules to the training materials you give to new drivers
- Add the bus lane rules to the training refresh materials you give to employed drivers
Working with NYCDOT and NYPD for Success
We engaged the NYPD and NYCDOT to ensure all relevant city agencies share a common understanding about this policy, and to provide school bus vehicle information recorded in our Vehicle System (log-in required) to the NYPD.
Questions About NYC Bus Lane Use
We greatly appreciate your participation as we strive to improve transportation services to our students. If you have any questions regarding this policy/information, please contact Paul Weydig or Darren Johnson at OPT.