Arranging SEIT and Related Services

Children recommended for Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) and/or Related Services

This guide provides the following information for families:

  • An overview of preschool special education
  • Information for students recommended for SEIT and/or related services
  • Instructions on what to do if your child moves or changes programs within NYC
  • Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) contact information

Overview of Preschool Special Education

Preschool special education services are available for children ages 3 to 5 with disabilities or delays in development. These services are provided free of charge and can help your child in making educational progress. The Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) is responsible for coordinating the preschool special education process.

If your child is found eligible, the CPSE will work with you to create an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and arrange for appropriate services. The CPSE will arrange for a provider to be assigned for each service recommended on your child’s IEP. We are strongly committed to supporting you throughout this process.

Your child’s IEP may include service recommendations for:

  • related services such as speech, occupational, or physical therapy, counseling, vision, hearing, and health services;
  • Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) who provides specially designed instruction;
  • full- or half-day special class in an integrated setting (SCIS), where children with and without disabilities are educated in the same class with a general education and special education teacher; or
  • full- or half-day special class, where all the students in the classroom are preschool students with disabilities with a special education teacher.

Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) and/or Related Services

Children with a recommendation for SEIT and/or related services may receive these services at any early childhood program or childcare location. To find your child’s recommendation, refer to the “Recommended Special Education Programs and Services” section of his or her IEP.

  • If your child is 3 or 4 years old and recommended for SEIT and/or related services, he or she can receive services at:
    • An NYC DOE general education 3-K or pre-K program. Apply through the 3-K or pre-K admissions processes to receive a seat. If you missed the deadline, contact the Outreach Team.
    • A preschool program, Head Start, hospital, state facility, or childcare location arranged by you.
    • Home, if determined to be appropriate.

The CPSE will arrange for providers to serve your child according to the projected start date for services on the IEP.

Did You Move or Change Programs?

Families who move within NYC and/or change their preschool program or childcare location should let their CPSE know as soon as possible. This will help make sure that services begin or continue as planned.

  • Contact the CPSE administrator who held your child’s IEP meeting
    • This will be at the CPSE office in the district where your child previously lived
    • See below to learn how to determine your district
  • Contact your child’s service provider(s), if your child is receiving services
  • You can also email or call the Special Education Hotline at 718-935-2007. Be sure to share your name, phone number, child’s name and date of birth, and NYC student ID number (“OSIS”), if you know it.

Please remember to:

  • Make sure the CPSE has your current contact information
  • Update your CPSE administrator immediately if your address, program, or contact information changes
  • Respond quickly and fully to requests from the CPSE and from your child’s provider(s)


How can I locate my CPSE office?

  • CPSEs work with families in the district where a family lives. There are 10 CPSE offices in different areas of the city. Each CPSE is part of a larger Committee on Special Education (CSE) office. To find your CPSE:

How can I locate the district where my child lives?

  • Call 311 or
  • Go to the NYC DOE School Search, enter your child’s address under “location” and click “search.” The district will be listed under “Zoned Elementary Schools.” That is your “district of residence.”

Whom should I contact if I have questions or need additional support?

Back to Top