Digital Citizenship covers appropriate and inappropriate online behavior (including cyberbullying), appropriate actions to take when addressing online behavior, and the responsible use of social networking. Students must be educated annually in this topic in order for the school district to meet Federal E-Rate funding requirements.
You may provide instruction using any of the approved curricular providers below.
- Be Internet Awesome: Google’s Be Internet Awesome supports students in grades 3 - 5 in being safe, confident explorers in their online world.
- Common Sense Education: This curriculum provides free lesson plans, interactives, and videos designed to support K-12 students in being good digital citizens. You can also use their Essential Guide to Digital Citizenship for CIPA & E-Rate.
- EverFi- Ignition – Digital Wellness and Safety: Ignition: Digital Wellness and Safety is a digital literacy curriculum designed to provide students in grades 6-9 with the information they need to safely and confidently navigate the digital world, and the skills to leverage technology safely and effectively.
- Teaching Digital Citizenship Through an Inquiry Lens - The NYCDOE Department of Library Services has aligned the Common Sense Digital Citizenship Curriculum to the Empire State Information Fluency Continuum to help build digital citizenship skills through an inquiry model for grades K-12.
- BrainPOP: FAMIS Vendor ID: BRA550283
- BrainPOP Jr.
- Curriculum consists of lesson ideas, quizzes, games, and activities for students in grades K-3
- BrainPOP Digital Citizenship
- Curriculum consists of topics, learning pathways, and support resources for teachers and students grades 3 and up.
- BrainPop Promo Video
- i-Safe: FAMIS Vendor ID: ISA821845
- Standards-based, Common Core ready digital learning content for students in grades K-12.
Schools Must Certify
As soon as schools have educated students about appropriate online behavior, including responsible use of social networking websites and cyberbullying prevention, school principals need to certify compliance by April 5, 2023.This information was shared in Principals Digest in October, 2022.
On-demand Digital Citizenship classes are available from our partners through WeLearnNYC . Sign into the WeLearn platform. Then select "Discover” type in the name of the class you’d like to take from the list below. The class will then be listed in “My Courses” when you visit your home screen again. Most classes also qualify for CTLE credit:
- Google’s Be Internet Awesome (Grades 3 - 5)
- CommonSense Education (Grades K - 12)
- EverFi(Grades 6 - 9)
This class does not qualify for CTLE credit:
- Teaching Digital Citizenship Through an Inquiry Lens (Grades K-12)
Digital Citizenship Certification Programs
You can visit our #NYCSchoolsTech certification page for opportunities to take a live-led synchronous class and get certified from Common Sense Education and EverFi.
Learn more about the Social Media Guidelines for staff and students.
- Digital Citizenship Responsibilities
- Digital Media Guidelines for Remote Learning
- Internet Acceptable Use Policy
- Digital Citizenship Infographics for:
- Digital Citizenship Student Activity Book
- Note: you must be logged into the InfoHub for the above link to work
- Library Services
Below are dates (listed chronologically) where you might want to focus on cyber safety and digital citizenship:
- World Bullying Prevention Awareness Month - October 2022
- Blue Up October 3, 2022
- Make friends with someone you don’t know: Week of October 3, 2022
- Challenge others to be kind: Week of October 3, 2022
- Stand up for others week: Week of October 10, 2022
- Week of Inclusion: October 17, 2022
- Start the week off with conversations with your peers: Week of October 24, 2022
- Digital Inclusion week October 3-7, 2022
- National Coming Out Day October 11, 2022
- Digital Citizenship Week October 17-21, 2022
- Media Literacy Week October 24-28, 2022
- Hour of Code December 5-11, 2022
- CS Education Week December 5-11, 2022
- Safer Internet Day February 7, 2023
- Respect for All week February 13-17, 2023