October 2023 marks the 20 anniversary of Cybersecurity Awareness Month. Protecting ourselves and the NYCPS community online has come a long way, but cyber criminals have also become more savvy. It's important that we all follow best practices online to protect ourselves, our devices, and student information. Learn more about online safety basics and social media best practices along with resources for families and educators.
Need to brush up on your cybersecurity knowledge? Below is a curated list of additional resources, including trainings, that will help you fend off internet threats.
- InfoHub Cybersecurity page - Cybersecurity tips for NYC Public Schools staff (sign-in required)
- Find more safety tips, quizzes, and guidelines for families and educators on NYC Public Schools website (Open external link)
- Learn the significance of safeguarding your personal identifiable information (PII) with this fun animated video about PII villains created by a talented high school intern
- Cyber Safety Video Series - Series of useful cybersecurity explainer videos, in collaboration with CISA.gov
- Cybersecurity Awareness Training - Enhance your cybersecurity expertise and safeguard government and defense industrial systems with this free course from the Center for Development of Security Excellence, designed to equip employees with the knowledge and skills to effectively defend against cyber threats and vulnerabilities
- Office of Information Technology Services Training - The Cybersecurity for Business Managers is a 101 class for supervisors, program and business managers and officials whose work does not directly involve the technical aspect of securing information but need to understand and interact with cybersecurity and securing information systems
- Office of Information Technology Cybersecurity Awareness - Training on cybersecurity awareness topics, including password protection, phishing awareness, ransomware and multi-factor authentication.