The NYC Kids RISE Save for College Program is a scholarship and savings program for college and career training. It is:
- A way for families, schools, and communities to save together.
- A tool that families, schools, and communities can use and customize in the way that best fits into their lives and best supports their dreams for their children.
District 30 Kindergartners
We have partnered with NYC Kids RISE to automatically give all District 30 kindergarten students an NYC Scholarship account--regardless of their family's income or immigration status.
What is an NYC Scholarship Account?
- A 529 Plan Account that has an initial deposit of $100 from NYC Kids RISE. There's also the opportunity to earn more money in the future.
- Scholarship funds are for college costs and post-secondary career training only--they cannot be used for any K -- 12 expenses.
- Find out more about NYC KIds RISE and the Save for College program.
What's a 529 Plan Account?
It's a type of investment account specifically created to help families save for college and career training. The money in the account can be used to pay for expenses at:
- Two-year colleges
- Four-year colleges
- Other career training programs
This includes post-secondary schools and programs in New York and across the country--even some schools in other countries.
The type of expenses covered may include:
- some room-and-board
- even things like textbooks, which often aren't covered by other scholarships.
Visit NYSaves.org for a list of higher education qualifying expenses.
Your District 30 kindergarten child is automatically enrolled in the program--there's nothing for you to do to join! NYC Kids RISE will be sending out Welcome Packets with everything you need to know to get started.
New District 30 first graders are also being automatically enrolled in the program.
If you don't want your child taking part in this program, fill out an Opt Out Notice and return it to your child's teacher. Schools started sending Opt Out Notices home October 15, 2018. All District 30 kindergartners and new first grade students will receive them. Have any questions? Contact your school's Parent Coordinator.
District 30 First Graders
Was your child in a District 30 kindergarten last year? If so, they are still enrolled in the program. In addition, once you complete the Three Building Blocks to start saving, NYC Kids RISE will match the next $100 you put into your connected savings account.
- Find out more about the Three Building Blocks, the three simple steps to start saving for college.
- Once you've finished those steps, find out more about the Savings Match.
Is your first grader new to District 30? Once you've been enrolled and opened your own college savings account, it too qualifies for the NYC Kids RISE Match!