We know that teachers care about their students and improving their instructional practice. Often, the data available to improve instructional practice does not include direct feedback from students. The New York City Department of Education (DOE) partners with Panorama Education to offer the Student Perception Survey, a research-based, confidential student survey used across the country to provide teachers with students’ feedback about their classroom experiences.
The Student Perception Survey is administered for formative purposes only, and not as a part of Advance, New York City’s system for teacher development and evaluation.
This survey is designed to measure students' perceptions on teaching and learning in a particular class by asking a range of questions that focuses on the following five topics:
- Pedagogical Effectiveness
- Classroom Climate
- Classroom Rigorous Expectations
- Classroom Engagement
- Classroom Teacher-Student Relationships
Take the 2018-19 Student Perception Survey Online
To take the 2018-19 Student Perception Survey online, click here.
The survey is available in ten languages: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Urdu.
Resources for Survey Coordinators
The 2018 -19 Student Perception Survey will be administered from December 3 to January 18. To learn more about Student Perception Survey administration in schools, review the following materials:
- Student Perception Survey: Survey Coordinator Training Deck (PDF)
- 2018-19 Student Perception Survey Preferences (Excel)
- 2018-19 Student Perception Survey: Survey Coordinator Training Webinar (Media)
- 2018-19 Student Perception Survey Translation Guide (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Helpful Tips to Support Survey Administration (PDF)
- Promotional Poster (PDF)
- Quick Reference Guide for Survey Coordinators (PDF)
- Survey Accommodations Guide (PDF)
- Survey Coordinator Checklist (PDF)
- Survey Eligibility Guidelines (PDF)
- Survey Ethics Reference Guide (PDF)
- Borough Staff Support Guide (PDF)
- Scheduling Helper Instructions (PDF)
2017-2018 Student Perception Survey Results
Teachers, principals, and field support staff can log in to their Panorama Education account to access their online reports.
- View your Student Perception Survey Results.
Understanding Your Results
To assist teachers, principals, and field support staff in understanding their reports, resources such as user guides and a data protocol are available on WeTeachNYC. For general questions about the Student Perception Survey and how survey data is collected and reported, review the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF). For information about the role of field support staff in assisting schools during the report release, please review the 2017-2018 Report Release Support Structure.
Panorama Education Playbook
The Student Perception Survey is a formative tool intended to guide practice in the classroom and across schools. Along with the online survey reports, teachers and principals will have access to the Panorama Education Playbook (Playbook), an online professional learning tool that allows educators to share practices and create a personalized playbook of instructional strategies based on their survey results. For general questions about Playbook, review the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF). To learn how to navigate Playbook, review the Playbook User Guide for Teachers (PDF).
WeTeachNYCAre you a principal interested in facilitating a one-on-one conversation with a teacher about their individual results? Are you a teacher trying to understand how the Student Perception Survey aligns to the Danielson Framework for Teaching? Login to WeTeachNYC to access a reflection tool and other professional learning resources.