High schools are required (by the New York City Department of Education HIV/AIDS prevention program) to provide Health Resource Rooms where free condoms, health information, and health referrals are made available to students in grades 9-12 by trained staff. Parents and legal guardians may opt their student out of receiving condoms. However, all students may receive information and referrals to health services.
Health Resource Room (HRR) and Condom Availability Program (CAP) Requirements
- Each school must have at least one trained male and one trained female staff.
- Parent opt-out letters (see below) must be provided to parents/legal guardians of all new students upon enrollment.
- A confidential list of all students who have opted-out must be available to all CAP staff. Students will be identified by ID numbers only; names will not be used.
- Confidentiality is critical to CAP.
- CAP must be available for at least ten periods a week for the duration of the school year.
- CAP schedule and locations must be clearly advertised for all students via the student letter and posters.
- Trusted health referrals must be made available.
- Health Resource Room(s) must be safe, supportive and inclusive zones for all students.
Information for CAP-trained Staff
See the Office of School Wellness Programs Professional Learning Catalog under “Health Education” to register for upcoming trainings.
Ordering condoms and educational materials
Email CAP2@schools.nyc.gov from a DOE or DOH email address with “Condom Order Inquiry” in the subject line. Please note: Only staff who have received the CAP training will be able to place an order for condoms.
Condom Availability Program Parent/Guardian Notification Letters
Inform parents and legal guardians of new students about the program using this sample parent letter, printed on your school's letterhead:
Condom Availability Program Student Notification Letter
Inform students about the program using this student notification letter, printed on your school's letterhead with your principal's name.