High schools are required (by the New York City Department of Education HIV/AIDS prevention program) to provide Health Resource Rooms where free condoms, health information, and health referrals are made available to students in grades 9-12 by trained staff. Parents and legal guardians may opt their student out of receiving condoms. However, all students may receive information and referrals to health services.
Condom Availability Program (CAP) Requirements
- Each school must have at least two trained DOE staff. Additional DOE and non-DOE staff who work at the school can also be trained to support the program.
- Parent notifications/opt-out letters (see below) must be provided to parents/legal guardians of all new students upon enrollment.
- A confidential list of all students who have opted-out of receiving condoms must be available to all CAP staff. Students will be identified by ID numbers only; names will not be used.
- Confidentiality is critical to CAP.
- Access to CAP, whether in-person or online, must be comparable to the required 10 periods per week.
- CAP schedule and locations must be clearly advertised for all students via the student letter and posters.
- Trusted health referrals must be made available.
- Health Resource Room(s) must be safe, supportive and inclusive zones for all students.
Information for CAP-trained Staff
See the Office of School Wellness Programs Professional Learning Catalog under “Health Education” to register for upcoming trainings.
Ordering condoms and educational materials
Email CAP2@schools.nyc.gov from a DOE or DOH email address with “Condom Order Inquiry” in the subject line.
- Note: Only staff who have received Office of School Wellness Programs’ CAP training will be able to place an order for condoms. CAP-trained staff may email CAP2@schools.nyc.gov for more information.
Condom Availability Program Parent/Guardian Notification Letters
Inform parents and legal guardians of new students about the program using this sample parent letter, which you should share on your school's letterhead:
Condom Availability Program Student Notification Letter
Inform students about the program using this student notification letter, which you should share on your school's letterhead with your principal's name.