Broadway Junior Musical Theater Program
The application deadline for the Shubert Foundation/MTI Broadway Junior Program 2023–2024 is October 10, 2023. Schools serving Grades 6-8 can apply for the program.
The Shubert Foundation/Music Theatre International (MTI) Broadway Junior program is a significantly funded opportunity to strengthen the arts in schools through musical theater. This dynamic program supports NYC public middle schools as they produce, rehearse and perform a one-hour musical.
Shubert/MTI Broadway Junior, a partnership among the Shubert Foundation, Music Theatre International and the NYC Department of Education, provides up to $10,500 in artistic services and theater resources to engage schools in the process of creating a sustainable theater program while developing creative life-long learners.
The goals of the Broadway Junior Program are to:
- Support middle schools to develop sustainable quality arts education programs
- Engage students in the joyful process of creating musical theater (rehearsal, design, and performance)
- Foster a strong educational community as students, teachers, staff, and families all 'play a role'
- Encourage the connection of arts programming to curriculum study in all content areas
The program provides schools with a professional teaching artist to advise and assist teachers and students throughout the process of producing their musical. Schools also receive:
- Significant funding to subsidize teacher per session costs
- Professional development workshops for teachers
- Technical theater support to improve their performance space
- Resources including the Broadway Junior Showkit (see application)
- The unique opportunity for students to perform in a city-wide theater event on a Broadway stage
- Student discount tickets to a Broadway show
View a short film showcasing the 18th Annual Shubert/MTI Broadway JR Celebration on Broadway.
For questions about the program, contact Peter Avery, Director of Theater, at PAvery@schools.nyc.gov with any questions.