The first year of the Pre-K for All expansion marked the beginning of a rigorous two-part research study conducted by Westat, Metis Associates, and Branch Associates on behalf of the NYCDOE and the NYC Center for Economic Opportunity (CEO), with support from the New York University’s Institute for Human Development and Social Change.
The NYCDOE and CEO launched this study to inform long-term planning for building a sustainable pre-K system, while also identifying ways in which Pre-K for All can increase support for providers and better meet the needs of New York City's children and families in the near future.
This memo summarizes the findings of the Year 1 evaluation of Pre-K for All and concludes by outlining accomplishments and improvements made in the 2015-16 school year.
The Year 1 evaluation was based on surveys, focus groups, interviews, and assessment data from a variety of stakeholders including parents, teachers, principals, site directors, NYCDOE staff, and staff from other city agencies.
The evaluation looked at seven areas of Pre-K for All's implementation, which was captured in separate reports:
- Family Perceptions presents families’ perspectives of the Pre-K for All program.
- Family Engagement and Communication explores the various ways that Pre-K for All sites report engaging families.
- Curriculum and Instruction presents site leaders' and instructional staff members' perceptive on curriculum and instructional practices.
- Using Data for Programmatic and Instructional Purposes focuses on how Pre-K for All sites report using data to make programmatic decisions and inform instruction.
- Expansion Rollout presents site leaders’ and instructional staff members’ perceptions of the expansion.
- Program Supports presents site leaders’ and instructional staff members’ perceptions of the supports provided by the NYCDOE.
- Executive Functioning and Academic Skills provides a snapshot of student learning over the course of a 5.5-month study period.
Year 2 Evaluation
The memos below summarize the findings of the Year 2 evaluation of Pre-K for All:
- Promising Practices of Sites Meeting the Differentiated Needs of Students
- An Assessment of Professional Learning, Coaching, and Supports to Sites
The Year 2 evaluation was based on surveys, focus groups, and interviews at a small subset of sites.