New York State Loan Program Guidelines

New York State education law requires public school districts, including the New York City Department of Education (DOE), to purchase and loan certain instructional materials to all children in grades kindergarten through twelve whom legally reside in and/or attend a school located within their school district. This includes K-12 students attending non-public schools as well. The purchase and loan of instructional materials is managed through four New York State Education Department (SED) loan programs:

Funding, which can only be used to purchase designated materials and equipment for loan, is allocated to schools based upon the number of eligible students enrolled. The NYSTL Unit within Office of Non Public Schools (ONPS) is responsible for administering these programs. Its primary responsibilities include:

  • Implementing guidelines and ordering procedures in accordance with New York State education laws
  • Training non-public school staff on the use of the DOE’s web-based purchasing application, FAMIS
  • Providing customer support to non-public schools to resolve purchasing issues

All schools wishing to participate in any of the New York State loan programs will be responsible for monitoring this site for program updates and time-sensitive information; there will be no paper mailings.

The DOE’s Office of Non Public Schools, administers these programs for eligible students who reside in New York City and/or attend a non-public school located in New York City.


While New York City resident students attending a non-public school located within New York City are eligible to participate in any of the four loan programs, K-12 students legally residing in New York City yet attending a non-public school outside of New York City are only eligible to participate in the NYSTL program via the DOE. To inquire about state funding for the purchase of library materials or computer software or hardware on behalf of New York City resident students attending a non-public school located outside of the New York City school district, please contact the school district in which your school is located.Participation Requirements

Participation Requirements

Participation in any of the four loan programs requires that non-public schools submit a Loan Request and Enrollment Certificate (LREC) form to the DOE on an annual basis. Non-public school principals/directors use the LREC (2 page) form to report enrollment data for the current school year which represents their school’s needs. Funding for the loan programs is determined by the actual number of K-12 students who legally reside in New York City and/or attend your school. In addition, there is a Principal’s Statement of Assurances (page 2) that requires the principal’s/director’s signature.

To complete the form, your school must already possess a 12-digit Basic Education Data Systems (BEDS) number issued by SED (State Education Department), and a four-character alpha school location code issued by the DOE. If you do not yet have these, please request them immediately:

Note that the enrollment information your school provides on its LREC form will be compared to the enrollment information reported to the SED. A decrease in enrollment will result in a decrease in total allocation for the year. If you report an increase in enrollment, you must provide documentation to substantiate the claim.

Additional Documentation Requirements

New York State education law requires parents to submit requests for the loan of textbooks, instructional materials and equipment to the public school district in which the pupil resides or the non-public school is located. The DOE is entrusting non-public school administrators with the responsibility of collecting these requests from parents and maintaining them on file at the school. These records are subject to periodic review by state and local agencies.

Funding Criteria

NYSTL: Allocation level is based upon the total number of eligible students (K-12) who legally reside within New York City prior to November 1, of the current school year.

NYSSL, NYSLIB and NYSCH: Allocation levels are based upon the number of eligible students (K-12) who were attending your school in NYC as of the Basic Educational Data System reporting date of the base year; that is, the school year preceding the current school year. Your school provided this information in last school year’s LREC and BEDS data forms.

Change in School Name or Address

If your school has a change in name and/or address, you must immediately notify both SED – by completing a BEDS Change of Address Form, and the DOE – in writing, of this change. You must also notify the DOE immediately if your school closes so that you may receive instruction pertaining to the transfer or disposal of all instructional materials and/or equipment purchased for loan.

Non Public Schools (NYSTL)

Back to Top