Post information about student programs, events, internships, scholarships, and much more. Announcements are organized by grade level—all schools, elementary schools, middle schools, and/or high schools—and are available to the public.
Principals’ Weekly Newsletter is currently being reserved as a communication channel for critical school information only. New student opportunities will only be posted to the Student Opportunities webpage at this time. This policy is subject to change as the school year progresses.
Submit announcements to StudentOpportunities@schools.nyc.gov, and copy your NYC DOE contact, by 5:00pm on Thursday no less than four weeks in advance of your event date or registration/submission/application deadline (whichever comes first). Announcements will be posted on the Student Opportunities webpage on Tuesday four weeks in advance of your event date or deadline (except when there is an alternate holiday schedule). Ongoing announcements will be posted once per semester and no more than twice per year. Announcements must include the full details in the format below. Should the announcement be missing any information required for submission or not formatted as specified below, the posting process will be delayed. If you fail to submit your opportunity four weeks in advance of your deadline or event date, posting cannot be guaranteed.
Visit the Student Opportunities webpage to see examples of the exact format used for announcements. To communicate the full details of your upcoming opportunity to students, e-mail your announcement in the following format:
School Type: (All, Elementary, Middle, and/or High)
Title (insert the title of your opportunity)
Deadline: (insert date, e.g. April 27, 2018)
Event: (insert date(s), e.g. April 29-30, 2018, if you do not have an event date, write: Ongoing). Do not include any other deadlines except for dates in this section.
Contact: (insert name and phone number and/or e-mail of the main point of contact)
Announcement Summary: (provide a brief paragraph of approximately 75 to 150 words)
All Schools: Register for the Teens in Charge program at the Greatest Museum of Art
Registration Deadline: April 29, 2020
Event: April 30-May 30, 2020
Contact: Jane Doe firstname.lastname@example.org/212-555-5555
Participants in the Teens in Charge program will learn new skills, be part of a network of their peers, and produce a culminating project. Students will also take part in an art crit, do an art activity related to that year’s theme, enjoy a snack inspired by an exhibition, and take a tour of the galleries. The event will be held from 4:00-6:00pm at 555 West 55 Street, New York, NY 10019. Learn more and register (include website link).
For your announcement to be considered, all announcements must:
- be brief and concise, approximately 75 to 150 words;
- include the name and contact information of the primary contact person who can answer students’ questions;
- provide basic facts and a website address where students can find more information. Write out all URL or website addresses that you wish to have hyperlinked;
- have the last part of the announcement provide the logistical details, including the location address, time of event, registration/application/RSVP instructions, and costs/fees (if any) (i.e., the very last sentence of an announcement should be “Learn more (link to website) and register (link to registration page if applicable)”);
- be written in a way that speaks directly to the target audience (e.g., students); and
- state if your opportunity requires payment, including the monetary costs.
Duration of Announcement on the Webpages and Principals’ Digest Republishing Policy
Once approved and posted, the announcement will remain posted in accordance with the following three guidelines.
- If an announcement has a deadline or event date, it will remain posted until the first date (usually the deadline date) expires.
- If it does not have an expiration date, the announcement will remain posted for four consecutive weeks.
- Announcements will only be reposted if notable details associated with the announcement have changed since it was posted initially; e.g., dates, deadlines, contact information, etc. Notifications of these significant changes must be sent to StudentOpportunities@schools.nyc.gov by 5pm on the Thursday prior to the upcoming Tuesday posting/publication date.
For questions, email StudentOpportunities@schools.nyc.gov