Welcome to the New York City Department of Education! Here are some things you need to know as you begin your career with the DOE. Everything you need to know about completing the steps to begin work with the DOE, including accessing the Applicant Gateway, fingerprinting and I-9s, and background and certification checks.
The Hiring Process
If you have just been appointed to a position with the NYCDOE, welcome!
This page outlines the steps you’ll need to take in order to complete the hiring process and begin work in your new job.
Before you can begin work, you must:
- Log into the DOE’s Applicant Gateway system and complete all required forms
- Visit a DOE walk-in center to be fingerprinted (unless you have already been fingerprinted for the NYCDOE) and verify your I-9
- Receive clearance based on your fingerprints and background check
- Be cleared by our automated certification check process (if applicable)
After you have successfully completed all tasks and been cleared to begin work, you will receive a welcome email with information about how to get started at the DOE.
Step by Step
1. Log into the DOE’s Applicant Gateway system and complete all required forms
The hiring process begins when you receive an email confirming that you have been nominated for a position. If you have not yet received this email, stop here – you must receive it before you can proceed. If you believe you have been nominated, but have not received the nomination email, contact your hiring manager.
The nomination email will instruct you to log into the Applicant Gateway.
Once you activate your Applicant Gateway account and log in, you’ll see a list of “Forms Requiring Action.” As a first step, you’ll be asked to confirm your profile. You will then need to complete and submit each form in your list. Full instructions will be provided as you proceed through the Gateway.
2. Visit a DOE walk-in center to be fingerprinted and verify your I-9
Before you can be cleared to work, you’ll need to visit one of our walk-in centers. You may not come to the walk-in center until you have completed your online forms.
When you come, you must bring:
- The appropriate fingerprint form and payment (see below)
- Documents to verify your I-9 (if applicable), including government-issued photo ID
When you visit, you may also be photographed for your employee ID card, and get instructions on how to obtain your card.
More About Fingerprinting
State law requires every employee of the New York City public schools to be fingerprinted and undergo a background check before beginning work.
If you have not yet been fingerprinted by the NYCDOE
- You will need to complete the Fingerprint Referral Form in the Applicant Gateway. Bring the completed form with you to the Walk-in Center, along with your I-9 verification documents.
If you have already been fingerprinted on behalf of the New York State Education Department (NYSED)
- You do not need to be fingerprinted again. In the Applicant Gateway, click on “Choose Fingerprint Form” and then complete the OSPRA 103 form. Bring the completed form with you to the walk-in center, along with your I-9 verification documents. (Non-pedagogues, vendor employees, and consultants cannot use this form.)
If you have already been fingerprinted by the NYCDOE
- You may need to be fingerprinted again. Fingerprints of individuals who have not had any activity in their Applicant Gateway account for 6 or more years have been purged from the Applicant Gateway. The Applicant Gateway will instruct you if you need fingerprints, once you complete all your forms. You’ll still need to bring your I-9 verification documents to the Walk-in Center in person.
The cost for fingerprinting at the HR Connect Walk-in Center is $135. The cost for submitting an OSPRA 103 (a form used only for candidates who were previously fingerprinted on behalf of the NYS Education department) is $20. Acceptable forms of payment are:
- Money orders (payable to NYCDOE/DHR).
- Personal checks (payable to NYCDOE/DHR).
- A credit card or debit card with a logo.
- Deduction from your paycheck, if you have been hired as a full-time teacher.
You may not have to pay the fee if you are on full public assistance, or if your program or employer has contracted with DOE to assume the cost of your fingerprinting.
Fingerprinting fees are non-refundable, even if your job offer is withdrawn or your security clearance is denied.
Where to Go
If you have been nominated to a position with the Division of School Facilities, Division of School Food, Office of Pupil Transportation, or Public School Athletic League, you must visit the DOE’s Long Island City walk-in center:
- When to Come: You will be assigned an appointment date and time.
- Location: 44-36 Vernon Boulevard, 4th Floor, Long Island City, NY 11101.
- Nearest subway stops: Court Square [E, M, G, and 7]
All other new hires, including teachers, must come to the HR Connect walk-in center in Downtown Brooklyn:
- When to come: Any time Monday through Friday (except for holidays) from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. To ensure smooth processing, we strongly encourage you to arrive before 4:30 p.m.
- Location: 65 Court Street, Room 102, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
- Nearest subway stops: Borough Hall [2, 3, 4, 5], Court St [M, R], and Jay St - Metrotech [A, C, F, R].
3. Receive clearance based on your fingerprints and background check
Chancellor’s Regulation C-105 requires all job candidates (including vendors) to pass a background check before beginning employment with the NYCDOE. In addition to being fingerprinted, you will need to complete a background questionnaire in the Applicant Gateway. The DOE's Office of Personnel Investigation will investigate any criminal history, employment history, employment eligibility, military service and other information related to conduct and background discovered as a result of your application. All investigations are conducted in accordance with state procedures and statutes regarding employment checks.
All managers and some other individuals are required by Chancellor's Regulation C-115 to undergo an additional, more complete background check managed by the City Department of Investigation (DOI). If you are subject to the DOI background check, you will fill out a questionnaire as part of your initial on-boarding package; DOI will notify you about subsequent annual filings, which you will complete online.
4. Be cleared by our automated certification check process (if applicable)
Teachers, guidance counselors, school psychologists, school social workers, and other school-based staff must show proof of certification in addition to submitting fingerprints as described above. You cannot begin service in our schools, and a paycheck cannot be issued to you, until a valid credential has been identified. If you hold a current New York State Education Department certificate, we can validate your credential automatically.
Read more about certification requirements for:
- Principals, APs, education administrators, and supervisors
- Other employees
Getting Clearance to Begin Work
Once you have completed all the steps above, and your background and certification checks have been successfully concluded, you will receive a welcome email authorizing you to begin work. The welcome message will also direct you to the information you need to get started at the NYCDOE, including:
- Your employee ID number and DOE online login information
- How to register for benefits
- How to sign up for direct deposit
Once you have received your welcome message, you can use the HR checklists to guide you through your next steps:
- HR Checklist for New Pedagogical Employees: For newly-hired non-supervisory pedagogical employees, including teachers, school counselors, social workers, psychologists (including PIT program participants), and school secretaries.
- HR Checklist for New Central Employees: For newly-hired H-Bank employees (generally, employees working in the NYCDOE's central, borough, and superintendent offices)
Call HR Connect at (718) 935-4000.