This page was last updated on June 1, 2022 at 8:49 AM.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
As required by the September 15, 2021 Order of the Commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene:
- All DOE staff must provide proof of vaccination to the DOE.
- City employees who work in-person in a DOE school setting, DOE building, or charter school setting must provide proof of vaccination to their employer.
- Staff of contractors of DOE or the City must provide proof of vaccination to their employer, or if self-employed, to the DOE.
- Staff of any charter school serving students up to grade 12, and staff of contractors hired by charter schools co-located in a DOE school setting to work in person in a DOE school setting or DOE building, must provide proof of vaccination to their employer, or if self-employed, to the contracting charter school.
DOE employees must use the DOE’s COVID-19 Vaccination Portal to submit proof of vaccination. For information about the Portal, see below. For further details on the City’s vaccination requirements, see the Commissioner’s Order.
DOE Vaccine Portal
The Vaccination Portal allows you to provide the DOE your vaccination status and to upload proof of vaccination, which can be an image of your vaccination card, NYS Excelsior Pass, or another government record. Submitting this information will support New York City’s pandemic response and recovery efforts, and help ensure that the DOE is a safe place to work for all employees.
Privacy and Security
The privacy and security of your information will be protected by technical, physical, and administrative safeguards, including encryption. This information will be kept confidential in accordance with federal, state, and local laws.
If you encounter technical issues using the Vaccination Portal, please contact the DOE Help Desk by opening a ticket online or calling 718-935-5100.
Flyer for Vaccine Portal How-to
Print and hang this flyer to help staff and families know how to upload proof of vaccination.
Back to School Flyer available in:
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate Related Exemption or Accommodation
Employees may now apply for a COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate Related Exemption or Accommodation. This COVID-19 Vaccine Related Exemption and Accommodation application is for:
- Religious Exemption requests to the mandatory vaccination policy
- Medical Exemption requests to the mandatory vaccination policy
- Medical Accommodation requests where an employee is vaccinated but is unable to mount an immune response to COVID-19 due to preexisting immune conditions.
Applications should be made via the following process:
- Applications must be made using the Self-Service Online Leave Application System.
- In SOLAS, employees should select the initial option to "Request Accommodation" and then the option to apply for an Exemption and Accommodation for COVID Vaccine-Related Reasons, and then indicate the category for the application.
- All applications require supporting documentation which must be submitted at the time of application.
At this time, all regular employees may apply for this vaccine-related exemption and accommodation. Applications will be reviewed in accordance with applicable law and agreements/awards with their collective bargaining unit.
Other Accommodation Requests
For employees applying for other accommodation requests, the regular, pre-pandemic reasonable accommodation application is available online. All applications will require up to date, supporting medical documentation and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis consistent with the law.
If you would like to request such an accommodation, please use the Self-Service Online Leave Application System.
Effective August 2, 2021, all persons newly hired for City employment (including NYCDOE employment) must provide proof of having received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine (note that new employees who have completed a first vaccination dose at the beginning of their employment will be required to complete any remaining doses).
Newly-hired NYCDOE employees must use the Vaccination Portal to upload proof of vaccination.